Wednesday, 8 April 2009
Greenock west esplanade 1st April 09
Well, these are the black guillemots...rather beautiful...very dark brown to black with bonny back wing flashes.
They roost in 'holes in wa's' and I saw the first down on the esplanade ledge, and as I looked over closer saw the one about 4 feet down poking it's head out of a wall hole....! I'm sure it knew I was there and was not spooked though I was canny.
There were 4 of them very active and courting I'm certain.
The males (I think, can't really differentiate them?) were ducking a wee bit and getting 'close', by just tagging right along at the back, ardent laddishness maybe! If you look I've got a couple of them under water...they dive quite shallowly and you can see those white flashes, maybe 2-3 feet under......
Great entertainment. They took off and about 100 yards away I saw another dive into the wall near the toilets at the end of the look-out tower pier.
Their cry is lovely, it's a prsweeet, prsweeet...and their mouths in bright red matching those dandy little feet!
A great 20 minutes --THANKYOU birdies!
Kind regards, Denis.
(Font: System, 10)
Labels: Greenock, west esplanade
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
Post a Comment
Your comments are more than welcome!
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.