Tuesday, 5 January 2010

 

Looking north over the Clyde Estuary and then Inchinnan 04/01/01

From out by Bishopton, decided to see what the northern hills were like,
especially Ben Lomond......not too great I'm afraid.
Back at Inchinnan, saw the turgid river with some ice on it.... then a trio
of Hooper swans...
I suddenly realised that the river (Black Cart) was being pushed back up by
the incoming tide of the Clyde estuary...and I saw the floes moving quite
quickly.... I'd say close to a good walking pace.
It was really eerie and very cold...see the big sheets drift on up-river;
the long one parted as it came to the corner...? I was thinking about the
brash ice that's experienced in the Arctic, Antarctica - thinking about
heroic Shackleton and his brave, resolute and trusting men.....the scale of
the floes being pushed up by the winds and tidal flows got to the height of
2 and 3 story houses...what forces are they that can do that??!!

These wee thin sheets crackled and squeaked as they contacted other sheets
and the bank ices; the stuff that Shackleton experienced must have been
frighteningly powerful and thunderous.

Anyway.. a fortunate 30 minutes seeing something quite unusual and a wee bit
special - different day to that I expected on the 5th.

Br, Denis.


Comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are more than welcome!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]