Sunday, 6 July 2008
Wind turbine shipping up the Clyde 16th June 08
I'm all for smart ways to get us forward on the looming energy deficits we are facing, but have to admit that I am seeing more an more 'farms' (not really a conducive or romantic term in my opinion) and apart from the questionable financing (grant aiding) and actual true power output efficiencies of the turbines, when will it be time to call a halt?
I read this week that the foundations for each unit on the moorland can be 1000 tonnes of ballast and let's remember that the production of cement is one of the highest energy consuming manufacturing processes ever - I am really sceptical of the ''total energy balance'' for these huge turbines. My gut feeling is that soon there should be the point made ''enough is enough'' and other methods employed.
I cannot for the life of me understand why there's no deep boring done down towards the core, where heat is 'unquenchable' so there's lots of wonderful opportunity to convert cold water to hot water - then a 'heat pump' solution to energy conversion exists. We have deep mined for hundreds of years in last century often went down 1000 metres.
Within 1 -2 years we'll have rather too many blots on the landscape.
In a few years folks will be campaigning for their removal - another huge churn of public funds no doubt.
These column sections at least come up-country by seaway thankfully, for shorter overland haulage (I guess into the south
Challenging times!
Best regards, Denis.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
Post a Comment
Your comments are more than welcome!
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.