Friday, 2 November 2007
The Calrine Hole run 10/10/07
seldom visited because of the lack of easy access. It is a magic place and
well worth the trouble though I do think many folks get up onto Glengoile
Hill.
I ventured onto this route years ago (by good old faithful OS map) and was
enchanted by the variety and changing ground; near the Hole is what I called
''5 finger gullies'', where all the drainage channels off the water-sheds
seemed to gather just to the north-west of the Hole, a wee bit away.
The views were good though the hills take on that evening distant
shady-blue.
Views show east and west, covering the turbines on Hart and Ling Hills and
westwards towards Earl's Seat.
The only ''bad bit'' (it WAS!!!) was coming over Campsie Muir...badly in
need of hungry hill cattle....horrible reedy ground and many drainage
channels hidden below, cross-cutting the hill. I was glad to get back to the
car and wondered at the spying eyes from the local farmers 4x4's....
Of interest at the top of Hole Head hill there's the new beacon, set up I
believe because of the turbine developments....
The map is poor showing two Hart Hills instead of Hole Head to the west of
the Crow Road. Also another fine 'beauty spot' is The Loup o' Fintry in
spate ...it actually lies on the Endrick water below the B818 marker ...
Great night out, one of the best tail end of 'daylight running season'.
All the best, Denis.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]


Post a Comment
Your comments are more than welcome!
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.